9.27.2010

NEWS // NYCK DE VRIES TAKES FIA CIK WORLD KARTING TITLE

NEWS // NYCK DE VRIES TAKES FIA CIK WORLD KARTING TITLE15 year old Nyck De Vries collected the World Karting Championship title last weekend at the Spanish track of Zuera. Already established into the McLaren young driver programme the talented young Dutchman passed Britain’s Jordan Chamberlain for the lead on the very last lap of the Final. Dane Nikolaj Moller Madsen completed the podium... [read more]

With the decision by the FIA CIK to run this years championship for KF2 rather than Super KF, the 47th running of FIA CIK World Championship saw a massive 125 strong entry take to the track at the 1700m long Spanish circuit north of Zaragoza.

Third at the end of the first lap of the final Dutchman De Vries subsequently passed the Dane Moller Madsen (Energy-TM), then slowly but surely narrowed the gap between himself and the leader Jordan Chamberlain.

NEWS // NYCK DE VRIES TAKES FIA CIK WORLD KARTING TITLEOnto the last lap and De Vries pulled off an outstanding overtaking manoeuvre to take the chequered flag and with it the most important victory of his career so far.

"What an incredible feeling ! ", said De Vries, " I was closing only very slowly on Jordan, Then at the start of the last lap, I said to myself that this braking manoeuvre would probably be my very last chance to be world champion. I decided to make my move some way back… and that was how it went!"

Britain’s Jordan Chamberlain was obviously very disenchanted after heading the field from pole for most of the final commenting "Inevitably I am very disappointed… In a straight line I was falling back, but I said to myself that Nyck was too far away to launch an attack. And then, all of a sudden, it happened ! I found myself in the dust, just off the track, and then all I could do was defend my second place again Nikolaj. But well down to Nyck for his race!"

Editorial: Neil Tozer
Photos: FIA CIK

No comments:

Post a Comment