1.06.2010

GALLERY // ROBERT CARRIER'S TOP SHOTS OF 2009

Now that the year has ended, I've had an opportunity to go through some of my photos and reflect on the events that I was able to cover for ColdTrackDays. It was an absolute pleasure joining the CTD team in 2009, and I'm honored to work amongst such talented photographers. We have some exciting things planned for 2010 and I look forward to seeing what sort of photos I'll have the opportunity to shoot over the next 12 months! Thanks to everyone for supporting CTD – we all appreciate it!... [read more]

SCCA Solo National Tour – San Diego, CA: Qualcomm stadium in San Diego, California – current home of the Chargers football team – hosts a round of the SCCA Solo National Tour every year, and draws some of the very best autocross racers in the entire country. As I've been a fan (and on-again-off-again participant) of autocross racing since my early days of college, I grabbed my camera and headed down to the Q for a weekend of motorsport.

Symbolic Motor Co. Show N' Shine – La Jolla, CA: Every year, the Symbolic Motor Company – an exotic car dealership with two locations in Southern California – hosts a BBQ and Show N' Shine at its service facility that is open to the public. The event is a fantastic way for car enthusiasts to chat with like-minded individuals over a glass of wine while taking in some of the world's greatest cars, including race cars, vintage cars, and exotics.

Long Beach Grand Prix – Long Beach, CA: The streets of Long Beach have played host to some of the world's fastest cars since 1975, and this year was no different. In addition to the main event, which saw Danica Patrick and some of the top IRL drivers navigating the street course in 700hp open wheel monsters, the event also included the ubiquitous Toyota celebrity race and a round of the American Le Mans series.

Redline Time Attack Round 2 – Rosamond, CA: Of all the events I covered this year, I would have to say that Round 2 of the Redline Time Attack was easily the least pleasant. Needless to say, Rosamond can get unbearably hot during the spring and summer months! Despite the heat, lack of shade, and four-hour drive from San Diego, it was still a thrill to catch my first Redline Time Attack event in person.

Coronado Speed Festival – Coronado, CA: Next to the Monterey Historic held at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca every year, the Coronado Speed Festival is the largest vintage car race in California. Held on the runways and taxiways of Naval Air Station Coronado, the event draws a wide variety of cars as well as drivers who are there not to showcase their cars, but to compete!

Redline Time Attack Round 8 – Fontana, CA: Compared to the RTA event held at Willow Springs Raceway, the 8th and final round of the 2009 Redline Time Attack season was an absolute pleasure! A leisurely hour drive north of San Diego, Auto Club Speedway is a world class racing facility that far exceeded my expectations, and Fontana in November is much more comfortable than Rosamond is anytime! It all added up to a fantastic event that I thoroughly enjoyed shooting.

SKUSA SuperNationals XIII – Las Vegas, NV: Two words could best describe the 2009 SKUSA SuperNationals kart race in Las Vegas, Nevada: Michael Schumacher. The Formula One legend – who recently ignited the motorsports world with his announcement that he has signed up for the 2010 season with his long-time partner in crime Ross Brawn – was in attendance, and for this reason, I was in attendance as well! Though I was too young to watch him in his Benetton days, I have been a Schumi fan since the days of his epic battles with Mika Hakinnen, and I was not going to miss the opportunity to meet him in person (which I did, albeit shortly)!

For a look at more photos from ColdTrackDays correspondent, Robert Carrier, click here

Photo/Editorial: Robert Carrier


No comments:

Post a Comment