11.23.2009

2009 YEAR IN REVIEW // JAKE YORATH (PART ONE)

What a year it's been.  And what an up and down.  Without going into too much detail, I've started my own magazine and ended my education career abruptly.  In the meantime, I've had (photographically at least) one of the best years of my life. 

My first event of the year was the rather static Autosport International Show- really no substitute for a racetrack!  But it's a way to start the year, I guess... [read more]

Opening the on track season was the British GT Media day at Silverstone- a nice relaxed start. Greeted by flat grey skies, I was quite pleased with the results.


After that, I visited Castle Combe for the first time ever. I tell you what, that feels like years ago. If you're British, I really recommend a visit. The views are excellent, and the track hugely friendly.


The season started 'properly', as it often does, with the opening round of the FIA GT Championship at Silverstone.  Some great racing, and excitement with the first outing, in anger at least, for the 2010 GT1 class.  Matech's Ford GT had the definite measure of the much lauded Nismo GTR, as it would continue to have for most of the season.  GT3 also provided great racing over the weekend, a taster for what would be a stunning season in all the FIA GT classes.











After that, the hottest day I've had at a racetrack came at, of all places, the bloody awful concrete expanse that is Rockingham.  No offence to owners or fans, but this circuit is a hateful, hateful place in my opinion- so little of the track is available to get to.  Having sweltered for a day, the end result were a few very sun drenched shots, and my favourite abstract of the year- the black and white of a grid girl from above.



Just two weeks later, and I packed my bags for my first ever (I know, shock horror, right?) Le Mans 24 Hours.  Not quite as magical as the Spa 24 for me, but still enjoyable- but a bit too crowded!  Having checked my options, I decided to buy tickets for my first visit.  Perhaps I'll visit as a media representative next year.  I didn't bring my camera kit- I relied on stealing my father's every now and again.

Let's start with that- and we'll open part two with the wtcc...

Photo/Editorial: Jake Yorath

1 comment: