7.04.2008

ColdTrackDays Exclusive Interview // Al Unser Sr.


As the editor of ColdTrackDays.com, I am entitled to some perks, perks that accompany my job as automotive journalist, perks that make my friends jealous. Some better then others, rides in fast cars, spending time with race fans and endless days at the track. But this perk was beyond anything I could imagine. I was contacted by SOVREN and asked if I would be interested in interviewing Al Unser Sr. Exclaiming my excitement in inappropriate four letter words and then calming myself down, I accepted their offer with gratitude and enthusiasm. And so it went. Yesterday, after an exciting ride around Pacific Raceways in Thor Johnson’s ‘66 GTA, the Indy legend himself, Al Unser Sr. showed up. King 5 News was there as well, and laid in with the questioning, filming a short piece to be aired tonight as well as on their website (King5.com). After the television interview, the crowd dispersed and Mr.Unser and I were left alone, sitting across the table from one another, eating lunch. Questions came in from our readers after our initial post regarding the interview, so I asked those first, hoping to maintain a mellow, laid back atmosphere, as opposed to the time crunch television variety he just went through. Informal is putting it mildly, after our interview, Mr.Unser, myself, his wife and a few other drivers who had gathered to join the conversation, sat and enjoyed lunch and the sunshine that filled the afternoon. Al Unser Sr. was everything I expected from a four time Indianapolis champion, polite, direct, and above all else, an incredible man. I cannot express my gratitude for the opportunity that I was presented with, and can only hope that Mr.Unser and his wife enjoyed my company as much as I did theirs. Below is a small portion of our interview:

CTD // First question from our readers is a simple one, what kind of car do you drive on a daily basis?

Unser // “you mean everyday? Well I drive a Ford Excurssion most days”

CTD // Very nice, big and roomy. Second question from our readers was, what is your favorite track, besides Indianapolis?

Unser // “I cant say I have a favorite. Take here for example, if I won here today it would be my favorite, but in two weeks if I
lost, it wouldn't be my favorite anymore. Do ya understand what I mean?

CTD // I certainly do

Unser // I do like the dirt tracks though”

CTD // Like oval dirt track racing?

Unser // “Yeah, I liked going sideways and fast on the dirt”

CTD // Were there a lot of those tracks where you grew up?

Unser // “Yeah they were everywhere. Plus I raced at Pikes Peak as well ya know”

CTD // I suppose Indy has to be a favorite?

Unser // “The speedway was great, and I did well there, but I just cant say I have one favorite race track. There were so many great places, to say one is my favorite would be unfair.”

CTD // Third question was, what do you think of Danica Patrick?

Unser // “I think she is doing a terrific job, I always told people I thought women could do it.”

CTD // What do you think of the youth in racing, with guys like Hamilton being only 23?

Unser // “I think it is great. I didn't get started racing until I was 18, but that was because you had to be 18 years old to race, now they get started so much earlier. It is great for the sport”

CTD // Ya with karting, kids are starting at six and seven if not younger.

Unser // "It is great that they have that opportunity. Things haven't changed that much, the technology has, but driving a race car is stlll driving a race car."

CTD // You and your wife will be here throughout the weekend for the SOVREN vintage races, I hope you guys have fun and I am sure the fans will be excited that you are here

Unser // "Well thank you, it should be a fun weekend."

Stay tuned to ColdTrackDays for more from our interview with the Indy legend himself, Al Unser Sr // 07.04.2008

No comments:

Post a Comment