6.22.2009

EVENTS // VINTAGE SCCA @ NEW JERSEY MOTORSPORTS PARK

The Vintage SCCA is quite an excellent gathering of, not only, vintage race cars but impressive show cars as well. Though there was a large confusion that took place with my media vest hindering me from photographing the race almost all day, I did get to see and hear the sounds of engines starting up and approaching the grid that I may never hear again... [read more]

There were vintage Ferrari's and Maserati's with straight-8's, Lotus 7's, Volvos, Triumphs, MGs, and a really really old (1920s?) Mercedes Benz out on the track. I could not believe it! I couldn't imagine the cost of a single body panel (if possible to find anywhere!).

The cars themselves were not just gleaming and beautiful with perfect paint, but were without interior and almost all had roll bars.

Thoughts came to mind of me seeing one of these cars in stock form on the street and saying, "That's a nice car", but looking around me I couldn't help but say, "THESE are nice cars!"

I did manage to snap a few photos of the race action while standing atop my Miata. The red Volvo (above) won its round of competition and was screaming down the front straight, with the yellow convertible chasing it down.


Of course I was greeted by everyone more than 30 years above my age. Everyone seemed to be nice at this race, certainly not comparable with the younger drifting crowd. If I happened to stop and take a shot of a car, I was then immediately told by a passing enthusiast what kind of car it was, and what made it so unique for its time.

Really incredible knowlege the attendee's had. Just a great event that I hope to be more prepared for the next time I attend.

Photo/Editorial: Kyle Crawford

No comments:

Post a Comment