10.15.2008

OPEN PRACTICE // CTD.COM KARTING - PART 2



"Today I am humble. After a solid afternoon of lead-follow and open track lapping at the PSGKA's Mt.Highway Raceway, I end the day like I do most, at the desk, on the computer. But tonight is a bit different. Tonight my rib cage is screaming at me, tonight my arms feel like helpless spaghetti noodles, tonight it hurts to type. So, after a beer (or two) with dinner, I ease back into my office chair and give you this, my first experience in a 125cc TAG ItalKart.

As you may know, the gentlemen at Seattle Karting Specialties have handed me an opportunity like no other. They are sponsoring me for the winter race series at the Evergreen Speedway in Monroe, WA. Before the race series begins, they felt I needed a bit of time behind the wheel, hoping to improve confidence before they cut me loose in a fixed-gear rocket. Today was to be the first day of open practice, and we headed out of Seattle early, South toward Tacoma, and were suiting up and chatting about the karts before I knew it. Jeff Garner of Seattle Karting was on hand to give me a few pointers, as well as run some practice laps with me. He lead, I followed (as best I could).

The first thing you notice about a 125cc kart, is seat position. You are but an inch off of the tarmac, with no suspension and nothing but horsepower behind you. Throttle response is raw, launching you from dead stop to holy s#!t in no time. We ran the karts for a handful of laps, came in to the pits and discussed the experience. My lines were way off, breaking way to early, lifting when I should have been gassing, turning in too soon, etc... A second and third session on track proved my previous racing experience was a worthy investment, as I gained more confidence and soon found myself on the threshold, braking later and avoiding spin outs. The day ended when my hands had become permanently molded in the shape of a steering wheel, my arms dangling loose from my shoulders and my ribs feeling like I just took on a light-heavy weight boxer. All in all, I cannot say enough good things about the guys from Seattle Karting, or the experience they have provided me with. I look forward to making progress, learning the lines and exuding my confidence on the competition!"

Stay with ColdTrackDays, as we will have continued coverage of Justin Coffey's attempt at 125cc kart racing, with follow ups on practice sessions, race reports and plenty of photo and video coverage. Click through to our YouTube Channel for some additional videos, or head to our photo gallery for some shots from today's practice session // 10.16.2008

2 comments:

  1. looks like fun! I have been wanting to try karting for a while now. looking forward to more posts

    Carl Sudoburrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll still lap you at Traxx even with some extra pounds...

    ReplyDelete